Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Field Trip Funnies

Kindergarten through Third grade went on a field trip today to see a local community college production of Miss Nelson is Missing.  They loved it!  The play was very well done, very funny, brightly colored, and entertaining.  I would totally do that again :)

We had a rather funny communication mixup, though.  The bus arrived at 8:30, so basically as soon as the children got to school, I had them lining up and ready at the classroom door.  One of the dads came into the class with his son, and when I asked where his sack lunch was, the dad said that Lucas didn't need one because he wasn't going on the field trip.  Surprised, I asked why.

"Oh, you know...I don't think he'd sit still and enjoy it very much," Dad said, "He will just stay here instead with the other kids."

"Other kids?  What other kids?  Everyone who is here is going with us."

I don't know why he thought it was an optional field trip!  I had been certain that I had it marked down that he had turned in his permission slip and paid the $16 admission ticket.  It turns out that when the classroom aide puts a check next to someone's name, it means "check on this," instead of that the permission slip had been turned in! 

Also, the permission slip that was passed out to all K-3 students has a place to sign that your child will be attending, but says nothing about assuming responsibility of your child should you choose not to send him on the trip.  Pretty funny, huh?  I'm sure that we will be rewording the form next year!

I assured Lucas' dad that it was fine if Lucas came, since I had assumed he was anyway.  Dad went out the door, called Mom, and then came back in the room.  He decided to give Lucas the choice:  "Lucas, would you like to go to the field trip, or would you rather go home and spend the day with Mommy?"

No brainer!!!

Oh well, one less head to keep an eye on...

No comments:

Post a Comment