Friday, March 5, 2010

Using Magna Doodles

In the mornings, after my kinders finish their journal writing, I let them sit quietly on the carpet and practice their spelling words on a Magna Doodle while they wait for the rest of the class to finish their work.  It works really well, because they get to work on their handwriting and spelling at once, and enjoy it more than they would if they were writing it out on paper (plus, I don't have to buy dry erase markers for them!)

Today, after everyone had moved from journaling at their tables to spelling on the carpet, I had them keep their Magna Doodles so that we could do another activity.

We learned about seasons yesterday, and since we don't really have seasons in California, I knew they would need some reinforcement.

I had the kids sit in a circle, and asked them each to use their Magna Doodles to draw a picture about Winter.  I gave them 1-2 minutes to draw their pictures, and then we went around in a circle sharing what they drew.  The kinders were proud to show their drawings, and they really had some great ideas for representing the seasons.  (My favorite one for the day was a drawing of Fall where "the sun is zapping all the leaves off the trees."  !!!)

It helped them cement a rather vague concept in their minds, and they really enjoyed sharing their work and thoughts with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment